Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Greek Yogurt Parfait

Sometimes, I like to eat breakfast and not feel guilty about it, because you don't tend to feel so good about yourself after eating a lot of bacon and buttered bread (you know, once the butter and bacon grease flavors surpass). So I worked away in my kitchen, trying to find something that balances my sweet tooth and the side of me that wants to make better food choices. And yes, I turned to Google. Because sometimes laziness just trumps health.


So I've taken some of the google results and meshed them with my fave flaves (favorite flavors in Carolyn lingo) to produce this parfait. It's like dessert for breakfast, minus the guilt factor.


You'll need:
      -Greek Yogurt (I use the Greek honey yogurt from Trader Joe's.)
      -Honey
      -Berries (I used strawberries and blueberries, but any berry or fruit will do)
      -Granola (The one from Le Pain Quotidien is my favorite, but I de-raisin it before hand)
      -Chopped fresh mint

So you don't really need measurements for this one, you kind of play it by eye (I mean, you can't hear your ingredients speaking to you so you can't really play it by ear…). I like to go heavy on yogurt, lighter on the honey, load on the granola, dump on the berries, and but just a teensy bit of mint. But that's just me, and you can do it however you'd like.


Layer, layer, layer! Yogurt first, granola next, fruit on, drizzle your honey, and top with mint. If you wanted extra presentation points, you could put it in a parfait glass and actually do layers. I don't have that kind of time before school so I actually chop my ingredients the night before, pop them in the fridge, and just assemble that morning. It's easier and still tastes delicious.



I've been loving tea lately, so I have a cup of barley tea (don't judge, it's amazing) with milk and sugar. But with this parfait, orange juice, a smoothie, or plain water will do just as well.


So that's that! Enjoy your breakfast and feel like a cool cat next time you layer up.


xx Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment